Topic of the Week
Keep getting turned down for jobs in your industry? This week: tips to avoid bad references and how to deal with being blacklisted.
Blog of the Week
It's Time to Clean Up the Los Angeles Garment Industry's Dirty Secret
On March 25, 1911, 146 garment workers died in the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire in Manhattan. Today, we know our clothes are still often sewn in lethal conditions in foreign factories. Last year's disastrous Rana Plaza collapse and a series of deadly factory fires resulted in much hand-wringing over how to improve safety in Bangladesh's garment industry. But 103 years after the Triangle Shirtwaist fire, we still have our own dirty garment secret, much closer to home.
Thought for the Week
""There's always some kind of blacklist throughout history. But the difference is, in America they usually let you live.""
List of the Week
Color Me Successful: Hiring Managers Tell Us What Colors Tell Them
• Black - Leadership
• Blue - Team Player
• Gray - Logical/Analytical
• White - Organized
• Brown - Dependable
• Red - Power
• Green, Yellow, Orange or Purple - all four colors were associated with Creative
Top Five News Headlines
- GOP blocks Senate bill curbing gender pay gap
- Minimum wage hikes and real net wages
- Public Service Union seeks 30 percent wage increase in 2014
- Workers say too often employers hire them for one job, but have them do another, survey finds
- GM Auto Workers Vote to Allow Strike in Kentucky